My first adventure of this week? I flew on the trapeze! There is a real circus trapeze at Siloso Beach on Sentosa Island. I've wanted to try it out for some time now. So...I got up the nerve and I did it!
Let me be the first to tell you - although I did successfully do a flip on my second trapeze attempt - there is no circus act in my future. Trapeze is not meant for 35 year olds. I was sore for two days afterwards. But I'm darn glad I did it.
The first thing we did was practice on a lower trapeze. Next, they placed a harness on me and up the sky high ladder I climbed. Once on top of the platform, another guy re-hooked my harness and then gripped onto the back part of my belt. He told me to grab onto the bar with my right hand, while holding onto another cable with my left hand. He told me to then let go of the cable with my left hand and to lean into the air and grab the bar with that hand, too. He said he'd hold onto the back of my belt while I did this. I thought he was crazy. A) he was smaller than me - how was he going to keep a hold of me without letting me fall? and B) I'm a tall girl and I could barely reach the bar with my right hand, let alone both hands. But, he was right - he was able to hold onto me and I was suddenly grabbing the bar with both hands at his complete mercy before falling who knows how many meters down to the ground. Oh wait - there was a net. Anyway, on with my story. Next, he said to bend my knees and then pushed me off the platform before I could change my mind about the whole shebang.
Another worker was able to take some pictures and video on my cell phone. He only captured the first swing (I was allowed three tries), which was too bad because I actually did the flip on my second try. It was great fun! But boy was I tired.




No comments:
Post a Comment